Monday 30 October 2017

#158 - A refuge in the midst.

Vol.# 158

Here I am on my rooftop. 
The breeze is blowing.
I have my mosquito spray already covering my arms and legs. 
Then God shows me His masterpiece! 
The sunset.



I sit in awe looking at the colours of the sun as it sets. Then I start to sing and sway, then dance as I celebrate His artistry! And yes, even though it is still very hot and dusty, I think of how blessed I am to have this piece of refuge in the midst of a place awash with loud noises, and people chattering, motos passing by, and yes, the never ending sounds of construction!  

I am excited because the theme of leadership, which affects impact and influence, has been resonating in my life for the past three months. I did not intend to attend the John Maxwell 2-day seminar on leadership this past week here at my church, New Life Fellowship, but the wife of one of the pastors had suggested that I go since I was already signed up to help with the upcoming Global Leadership Seminar next month. So I thought, what could I lose
Again I was humbled by what I learnt, and again God reminded me that as a leader I can either have a negative impact and corresponding influence on others, or a positive one based on HIM! 

This past week we studied the Prodigal Son parable in Khmer, and as of next week we all will be sharing our testimonies and praying at the beginning of our classes in Khmer! 
I am pumped to be able to read in my heart language here, even though I am still the slowest in the class! I am not exaggerating when I say this; proof in point, we had an assignment which everyone did within the allotted time in class. However I was struggling with it! I felt that ‘despair’ but when I returned home, my housemate had kindly cooked dinner, so I ate and then came up on this very rooftop, and redid the assignment and focused and was able to do it in 5 minutes! 
I rejoiced but still cannot figure out why I could not get it finished in class!

Here are a couple of pics of me enjoying a football game with a former student from Place of Rescue with his fiancee:



 
Praise
My visa has been renewed for one more year! The requirements had been changed for the usual kind of visa I have been getting since I have been in Cambodia. With your prayers and sage advice, God has answered so graciously! 

Praise
My two tutors I had before were able to resume teaching me as I await to finish Level 8, the last level of formal language learning. I thought they might have been too busy but was relieved to know that they were available for me!
 
Praise
I reconnected with fellow Khmer volunteers at church. It was good to be missed by them and I also missed them!

Praise:
I reconnected with my former Khmer teachers who are truly becoming like family.

Prayer
In the midst of the business, please pray that I would remember that learning Khmer is important, but not to put too much pressure on being perfect, because the most important thing is communication. Having said that, that I would be bolder in speaking and initiating conversations in Khmer!
 
Prayer
We have new tenants moving in the downstairs apartment. Please pray that we would have a good relationship and that I would be able to model His fruit of the Spirit!

 
But before I close, I would like to say a special thank you to Pastor Wayne and Betty Kerr. 
I watched on livestream as they shared on their next step in their journey with God. There are a couple of pics in my mind when I think of them. 
Pastor Wayne: I have this pic of Pastor Wayne on his knees cleaning the steps and he still had his jacket on. He had seen a need and immediately attended to it. Another pic is of the two of us having a discussion in his office over a miscommunication and he was so humble as he offered his apologies over an incident with my crew from the Drop-In Centre. Pastor Wayne was the first leader who had the honor of having his car ‘creamed’ by my kids. The kids were in awe of him but also wanted to ‘prank’ him because they liked him!
Betty: I have a pic of Betty serving me breakfast at their home, making me feel so at home and welcome. Then there is Betty here in Cambodia, intent on serving others in spite of the heat and not feeling one hundred percent healthy, but still ready to pour out her love on others! And then Betty being gracious and praying over me, giving me the freedom to be ‘real’ and therefore cared for and loved! That is a very special gift she gave to this international worker! 
Thank you to you both and I cannot wait for your special Facetime calls! 
With a heart of gratitude to you both: you both will always be my pastors for life! And that is a promise! I love you both so very much

Please keep sending me your stories and prayer requests!

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya  

No comments:

Post a Comment