Tuesday 26 April 2016

#105 - A mishmash of unfortunate events!

Vol.# 105

Well it is 104 degrees in the shade!

SO, have you ever experienced…

… It is so windy that the curtain in the kitchen knocks over the coffee you just brewed; coffee is NOT only all over the counter, but the curtains are resting in it? 
It was not a good time (there really is never a good time for this to happen!), since I had to rush to take the curtains down and now there is no shade from the sun and heat!

… I had taken the butter out of the fridge and it was only on the counter for less than 3 minutes, and had turned into liquid form when I went to retrieve it! 
Yes, it is that hot in my kitchen!

… The fridge breaks down at same time. It is no longer cold. I put in a call to the repairman, (actually my landlord called 3 times, and my tuk tuk driver once!) and it took 3 days before one came. It was suggested by the owner of the store that since they had no one to come that I should bring the fridge myself to the store! (Really? Ah no, not down 3 flights of very narrow steps!). 
Then I waited on Sunday when I was assured that the repairman would come. 3:00 was the designated time; at 3:30 I called and the person could not speak in English and my Khmer was limited so I got the barber next door to give directions! 
Yes, the whole neighbourhood knew my fridge was not working! 
When he finally came, he took a long time taking the whole fridge apart, and then finally said the thermostat needed to be replaced! At 6:00 he was gone and so I had to wait until the next day to really see if the fridge was working properly! 
In the meantime, I had to throw all of the stuff out that I had in the fridge and freezer!  Such a FUN time!

… At the same time, the internet went down! My six-month contract was up, but I had asked Channak to call to arrange the renewal of the contract beforehand, because I did not want to go without my main form of communication! However, the internet kept going off so I thought they had cut me off! Channak reassured me that it was not so, and that the internet people would call me and come to my house to renew the contract!
Well, as of today, I am still waiting! But I thank God I have the internet! Channak called them to tell them of my intentions to renew contract!


In the midst of all of this, New Life church celebrated its 22nd anniversary! 
It was amazing to see how God had worked in the lives of those who planted the church and Pastor Jesse (our speaking pastor) is the son of the one who planted our church in Phnom Penh! But our church has also birthed other churches (just like Upper Room and Connexions) and the Pastor and his wife from one of the church plants came to share! 
I was engrossed and encouraged because the wife is originally from America and she spoke in Khmer! I understood 60 percent of when she spoke! (I understand only 10 percent when Pastor Jesse preaches in Khmer!!)

Then God gave me another gift. We were told to pray with one other person we did not know, so I prayed with this young Khmer woman and I used what little words I knew to pray with her! One of the pastor's wives had gone on stage just prior and said that God would give us His harvest, we had to give what little we had and forget our fears and use what He has given us to share His gospel! Well the little for me was the Khmer words, so I just went for it and she understood and it was awesome to stand with her and bow our heads together to our Father!

Praise: In spite of the heat, I have His focus on my studies! I am beginning to see a pattern in certain symbols as I read!

Prayer Request: That I would have the energy and passion to keep on finding creative ways to study and learn my consonants and vowels! We have our exam in two days and we have to not only speak and read in Khmer, but also be able to write them! My right hand is beginning to be sore with the writing; this is the hand that has given me problems in the past with tendonitis! So I pray that I will be able to practise my writing!

Thank you for your continued prayer and financial support!
I am blessed and honoured to be the recipient of your sacrifice of time and finances! Please continue to send in your prayer requests and just your stories of how you are doing so I can pray with you!

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia,

Your sister, Vidya

No comments:

Post a Comment