Friday 22 April 2016

#104 - Memory

Vol.#104

So after having a week off for Khmer New Year, I was greeting Lois, one of the principals at G2K school, and proudly told her "Good morning" and "How was your holidays?" 
We then looked at each other and cracked up because I had spoken to her in French! 
She, of course, speaks Khmer fluently, and Portuguese, Spanish and English, and knows a bit of French. 
So we both said at the same time,"Eh, was that supposed to be Khmer?"

Here I thought I was SO rested and ready to go! 
But I had spent the last four days of the week off studying vocabulary and listening to Khmer on my laptop, so I really was not refreshed as I thought I was! 
But my classmates were. They had a break from Khmer and were already apologizing to each other that their Khmer was not 'fresh' since they had taken a break from speaking, listening and trying to read! 
So when I shared with them what I had just said to Lois, they felt better about themselves! 

The heat has intensified. My friend Annette said that the other day the temperature was 108F! 

I have to change my study times to suit when I can better focus! The entire upstairs level becomes an oven and the fans just rotate the hot air! 
But thankfully by 6 in the evening it gets a bit cooler! 
We are studying more of the consonants and vowels and putting symbols together to form a word. Some make sense after looking and studying, and others you just have to learn by sight! 

Prayer answered
Reality check: The last few days the first part of the class was good, but the last hour when we are studying the consonants etc., it becomes wearying. So I have learnt the words in Khmer, how to say confusing, complicated (LOL) and I know. When I go back home, and I sit at my little table or on the floor, and I pray and give up the studies to Him, He makes it clear. He gives me a 'key' to unlock what I could not understand. 
But I have to put in the hours. I turn off my phone and then just study! 
So thank you for praying that I would begin to understand! 

A friend sent me an email about the Word becoming flesh, God becoming human for us, and she was praying for me that the Khmer word would become part of me to be the bridge to share His heart! So I have been using that as part of my prep before doing my home work! 

Prayer request
:
My memory!: That I would retain what I am learning and that I would be able to put it in conversation form! I still do not have anyone consistent to practise with, so I need to be able to retain what I have learnt so that when I have those random conversations with my Khmer contacts, I would be able to speak to them. 


Another friend sent me a link to Ravi Zacharias 'Let My People Think' radio program, and the theme was on memory
I do love His timing! 
Of course the context was on remembering His goodness and what He has done and building memories that glorify Him etc., but the fact that the theme was "memory" made me chuckle! 
So I have been listening to it before going to sleep! 

Thank you for your emails, prayers, and continued financial support here. 
I cannot do this without your help; you are very much part of His plan here in the land He has given to me. 
Keep on sending your prayer requests and stories of your lives! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia,

Your sister, Vidya

No comments:

Post a Comment