Wednesday 13 April 2016

#103 - A welcome break and linguistic progress!

Vol.# 103

Thank you for your prayers for safety on 2 days away. 

Answered prayer: One tire was flat, so we took the car in for it to be fixed; 4 new tires later, we were finally on the road! Yes, two other tires were not good, they had slashes, and you have to change the fourth! But the time away was worth it.
How?

- I was with Khmer-speaking friends; I understood about 15 percent when they were all speaking together, and about 30 to 40 percent when I could see their faces and mouths!
 
- I felt isolated because of this, but God had His plans for me to hear His voice as I relaxed in Him.

- My back was great for the journey to and fro (3 and one-half hours to 4 hours).
 
- My joints are not painful. 

Prayer request
: I need to build up stamina and endurance now. I need wisdom/creativity how to best do this without harming my health! On the last day of class we went on a school trip to Cosi Mountain, and it has 408 steps! 
Yup! 
So I was wise and did half of them. My legs are not that strong to climb up steep stairs! 

Prayer request
:  For that person/persons with whom I can practise listening and speaking Khmer. 

From being with this group these past 2 days, I realized that I can ask questions and give answers, but to listen to actual conversation when the speech is fast and spoken the informal way (not the formal way I am being taught), I still have a LONG way to go! 

Even though it was a bit weird not being able to contribute to the conversation around me, (picture me not saying more than 10 words on a 3 to 4 hour trip? Some of you are saying it is a miracle as I write this to why weren't you here to witness it!!!! ), I have to use this experience for the future; to cast my own vision that I would be able to speak and converse naturally when I can understand the flow and words of Khmer!

I have to go find some A/C now. It is 40C today, so the tuk tuk ride to the store was very, very, very hot! 
I am sure that if I tried I could have fried an egg on the seat! Instead I fried myself! (Notice I did not say 'butt'...whoops... I just said it!) 
Plus, not one, but two of my fans are broken, and my landlord and family are away in their home province for the Khmer New Year, so I cannot get that fixed until the 16/17! 

Final prayer request
: I have decided to spend a minimum of 3 hours on learning my consonants: how to write and say them during the break. Please pray that I will be disciplined! 

Quick note
: I did speak in Khmer to the staff at the place where I was staying. It was easy to ask normal questions, your name, home town, where did you learn your English etc., and I was able to chat with 4 couples there from Australia, USA, New Zealand, and France! So my confidence was not totally shattered! LOL! 

Please keep on sending your stories and prayer requests. It is an honor to be part of your community! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia,

Your sister, Vidya


No comments:

Post a Comment