Saturday 14 November 2015

#81 - Sounds and Health

Vol.# 81

I am on my balcony, reading His Word, and I look at the building across from me and see students with their teachers in class! 
I did not know what the building was; I thought it was an ex-pats apartment building; but now I saw only Khmer and movable blackboards and the desks and chairs! 
It dawns on me that education is so prized here, yet it is so expensive and for many, not an option! 
I am reading from Titus 2 on teaching sound doctrine and I look at the students and again I am excited by the possibilities for the Khmer!
I need to buckle down and study and learn the heart language so that I can be part of that plan of God to teach ‘sound doctrine’! I’ve had to decide on getting a helper here; Dane was working at Lois’ place when I stayed there last year, she is in her 20’s.
My homework!
You know how you are told NOT to write on the walls? Well this is how Khmer do it! This is my blackboard! I can write on tiled wall and then rub it off!

Yes, that is why I need to get my place ready for living this week, so I can be fully into my studies! I know that at the end of the day I will be exhausted but I have to carefully plan out meals and times of rest. 
I need to reconfigure my plans for the living/dining room area that will be my study area as well! 
Do I buy more fans or start to save to put aside money for a/c? 
For those not living here that may seem to be a luxury but I am being wiser and planning for the long run and need to conserve my energy and my body as much as possible! 
It is only cool late at night or very early in the morning. Mosquitoes are loving me at night time out on the balcony and right now I am sweating! 
Am I going to be “Khmer” and just have a mat with cushions as my eating area? Not sure yet!

AHH! A soft breeze is now blowing!

Prayer requests:

-Learning sounds: I covet your prayers for the third hour of study that begins at 11. That is the phonics time and I am beginning to dread it (being real with you). I need my ears to hear the slight differences in sound so that I can look at how the words are spelt and then use it when I am reading! I realize the foundation bricks, which I am building, is very important and I do not want to do more sounds until I understand how to say /form my mouth and tongue to say the sounds!

-Health: I finally had to go to clinic. The coughing and running nose was not getting any better. I had to see the doctor who was only there between 11 and 12, so I went to the first ¾ part of class and then literally sped to the doctor (I had to miss the phonics part of the class session!).

-Language classes: Everyone thought it was a tough one yesterday. We learnt numbers but there is a formal way of speaking (that is what is used when writing) and an informal way, which is how you would speak on everyday basis! So you shorten the words. Pray that I would learn the informal way faster please! I have begun to speak in Khmer to the young man who looks after the motos at the school, just to practise, and I also chat with the Khmer receptionist. Pray that I would find favour with them as well as other foreign students who are in the higher levels, that I would be brave to speak in Khmer with them. What I love about this school is that the students from higher levels all speak in Khmer during the break time with the staff! That is so cool!
Thank you for allowing me to be part of your lives. Please keep sending me your prayer requests and telling me about your lives!

Love,
His Warrior and Disciple, submitting to be His dance partner here in Cambodia,

Your servant, Vidya

 (P.S. I am at 70 percent of my monthly support, would you consider becoming one of my dance partners? Please email me to show you how!)

No comments:

Post a Comment