Monday 20 April 2020

#215 - Tribute to Lisa Zoia Mossop

Vol.# 215

Tribute to Lisa Zoia Mossop
November 14, 1964 – April 5, 2020


It is early, around 5:10 in the morning, still dark as I make my up to the rooftop. I can hear a cock crowing in the distance, and the birds are already up. There is an older couple doing their customary walk on the street below for their exercise, followed by 2 other couples who are chattering away, normal everyday routine here. In the coolness of the morning as I sit and listen to “The Blessing” cover by Amanda Malela in five languages, I think of my sister Lisa Zoia Mossop who is now face to face with her Abba Father receiving that blessing at His feet! 

One of the main things you miss out on when you are an International Worker is the joining in of meaningful events, birth/birthdays, marriages, graduations, anniversaries, and, of course, celebration of life as we mourn the passing of a loved one here on earth. For all of the four first occasions that I mentioned, I can always see the person after the event and celebrate, but for the last one, death’s closure is very different. I think for most of us this year, the COVID-19 has made closure different, for many could not or cannot go to a ceremony or even visit at the hospice to show our love and care. For the past two days I have been reading from Joshua 16-20 where Moses is handing out the inheritance to the different tribes of Israel. As I tried to pronounce all the names dutifully, and mechanically read through this, it suddenly hits me: inheritance...legacyLisa’s legacy is my inheritance

                           
Lisa: (meaning) God’s promise: God is my Oath: God’s satisfaction.
                           Zoia: (Greek) means alive!

Let me tell you how Lisa was God’s promise to me, and how she showed her faith when she was alive, and yet remains alive in my memories! 

I first met Lisa at Rexdale Alliance Church where she was spearheading the Plan to Protect rules to safeguard our babies, children and youth from potential abuse. She was there to train and implement this, ensuring that the church, our church, took the lead to protect the less vulnerable amongst us in society. She had a passion and energy that lit up a room, and a deep laugh that always made me ‘crack up’! 

I am not sure how she became friends with Ruby and myself. The three of us started to meet for brunch at her place, where she would have the table all set out with various dishes, in her bright kitchen full of light with the backdrop of the garden and flowers! Ruby would pick me up and by the time we had our coffee, we would be chatting and laughing about the everyday things that happen in our lives. It was her spirit of hospitality and warmth that made our times there so precious.  Immediately after eating and clearing the table, we moved to the sofa and big chairs where I would always grab a blanket, and then we would share about the more serious aspects of our lives, listening, encouraging each other, sometimes crying. Well, all the time tears were shed at some point, because then we sat and held each other’s hands and prayed! This went on for a couple of years and when I came to my heart country here in Cambodia, Ruby and Lisa made sure our brunch times still continued when I returned home for my visits! 

Lisa thought it was hilarious that Kevin and I started to call each other “Shorts’ and ‘Stretch”. Kevin is so much taller than my 5’ 2 ½” inches (do not forget the half!). Just to clarify, he called me Stretch and I called him Shorts, the opposite of our real heights! During those times that we three would meet, Lisa always suggested that we get pedicures/manicures done as well! Each time she would grab the bill and when Ruby and I started to protest, she would say, “No I am not paying for this, Shorts (Kevin) is! So all good… “.

It was Lisa who drove all the way from her place to Scarborough, where my parents just moved, to bring a round kitchen table with chairs in the family car. That girl was stronger than she looked! She was lifting that wooden table from the car to carry it to the elevator even before I could help! That was the fundamental Lisa, not just saying that she would help, but also taking the words into action when she found out that my parents needed furniture for their new place! 

It was Lisa over one year ago, when everyone else’s schedule was busy with life, who insisted on driving way over to Scarborough to pick me up to go for breakfast, to go shopping for things for my trip back to Cambodia! She instinctively knew that I liked to travel by subway and bus whenever I first return home because I missed the experience, but then she grasped that I would be tired from my ‘travelling’ here (Cambodia) by tuk tuk, and would insist on coming to pick me up at my parents’ place! 

I remember one time when I needed to get cleaning supplies and make-up, she took me to her basement where she had TONS of supplies. Ruby reminded me of that as we reminisced over the phone! We were laughing as I ‘shopped’ in her basement!

The last time I came home, and the last time I saw Lisa, was at church when she came to tell me that the cancer was back. We looked into each other’s eyes, tears beginning to flow, and hugged. No words. We knew that the only words after this would be in prayer to our Heavenly Father! Over the past four months we have chatted on WhatsApp and I know that ‘Shorts’ has shown Lisa my messages and pictures when she had been too weak to respond. Thank you, my brother

To Aiden, your mom was my soul sister. We always ‘hooted in laughter’ and yes, she, because of her social work background, accepted me with all of my apparent eccentricities! But that was how she was with everyone! No matter the culture, or background, she had ‘open arms’ for us all. That is why I was listening to the above song which Amanda M sang in 5 languages. Your mom blessed us, and her legacy is still blessing us. 

Ruby and I wanted to continue that blessing. So, in honor of  Lisa Zoia Mossop who was practical and saw the real needs of so many of us, we donated money to buy rice, canned food, oil and other needed grocery supplies for two specific families, who in the midst of this virus, lost their jobs and income. These two represent one of the church plants out of the city, where 50 percent of church tithing has fallen and so many are in need. This is in honor of Lisa. 

Saveit and Savuth

The next picture is in honor of Lisa, the zany woman who knew and understood that manicures/pedicures are just as important to uplift one’s self esteem and to just have a fun time! Since neither I nor Ruby could go and get a manicure and pedicure at this time, I went to my salon here, and in Lisa’s honor, I gave a case of Coca Cola and assorted cakes. 
My Salon Girls (Note the dog is the only one social distancing!)


Lisa, you are missed, but we have been blessed to have been a part of your life. We have inherited an incredible legacy of your love, not only for people, reflected in your absolute adoration of your husband and son, but also for your love for your Saviour, Jesus Christ. You were “Jesus’ in the skin for many of us. 
May we continue your legacy of prayer and action in His name!

So with tears and laughter, I will sign off with a Khmer saying: Lisa, I will see you when I see you...and we know that is in heaven! You, my girl, are now dancing with Jesus! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment