Friday 25 January 2019

#189 - A Tribute To My Sister, Polly Buchanan

Vol.# 189

My sister, Polly Buchanan:


As I sit on my rooftop this morning reflecting on Polly Buchanan, wife of Frank, mom, grandmom and spiritual mom to many like myself, there are two things that are occurring now. The sun is rising and it is a beautiful magnificent sunrise, and I can also see and hear the sounds of a funeral just below my house a couple of houses down my street. In the Khmer culture, it is normal for a tent to be erected outside the home of the one who has died, and depending on how much money can be allocated to the funeral, it may last 2 or more days. I can hear the sounds of the chants coming over the airwaves, I can see people going in to listen to the monks, and food to be served is being prepared. Traffic is usually diverted to another street by chairs situated in the middle of the same street to the left and right from the house of mourning. So one can be speeding down the street and then come upon this sign not to proceed any further. No one complains. They just find another path to their final destination.

My sister Polly knew where her final destination was and is now in heaven. When I first met Sister Polly over 15 years ago, it was at a prayer meeting at our church. It was a Tuesday evening and I sat and listened to the seasoned prayer warriors intercede for others all over the world: Pastor Sunder, Miles Valley, Jennie Leslie, Frank and Polly, just to name a few, who would meet every Tuesday and Sunday evening before the church service! Polly, to my knowledge, never prayed aloud at these meetings, but came in to sit and quietly support Frank and all of us with her presence. I learned from her that it was okay to sit and listen and learn from others. She never made me feel like an outsider coming in to a ‘clique’, but always made sure to ask how I was doing and to give me encouraging words! 

The qualities that surprised me about Polly as I got to know her over the years were her quick wit and her way of getting to the ‘crux’ of a situation, being able to sum up a situation and then give an assessment! I remember one time when I, along with other volunteers, were setting up a table for snacks and thinking that we would not have enough for all who had come to the meeting at RAC. Polly, knowing this, said to someone who was filling up his plate with the goodies, “You know this is a snack and not your dinner, right?” I remember bursting out laughing and the tension and worry I was feeling just fled! That was Polly coming up with the one-liners that would make me smile! 

When I got the news from the Kerrs that Polly had gone to be with her Heavenly Father, I called Ruby I., who is close to them, and we shed some tears over the phone! Even now as I am writing this, I can picture Polly. For some reason I felt I had to give her a sky-blue scarf when I visited the last time. I think of her now, not wrapped up in that scarf, but in the arms of Jesus! I think of her as I see the beautiful sunrise. It is a new day, and a new morning, and even though we will miss you, dear sister Polly, you are risen with your loving Saviour! My love and prayers to all of you who mourn and yet rejoice over the passing of Polly from this world into the wide-open arms of Jesus! 

As I finish this, I turned to go downstairs and looked across to the balcony of my neighbour’s house. I saw a young woman, a new mom with her baby, as she cradles and looks tenderly after her newborn! 

That is our Heavenly Father looking after Sister Polly now! Thank you Lord for this picture of your enduring love! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment