Thursday 24 January 2019

#188 - Global Leadership Summit

Vol.# 188

As I sit upstairs on my rooftop looking at the beautiful sunset, I am amazed once again by the creativity and beauty painted by Our Master. 
 
Sunset From My Rooftop
Amidst the slight breeze and the smell of mosquito repellent, I think back over the last 3 weeks since returning to Kampuchea. You have already heard about the wedding. Right after that I was at my first meeting for the Global Leadership Summit which will be held here on February 15/16th. We met to plan and form a committee, and assign responsibilities led by Pastor Leah. It is wonderful to have a chance to be a part of leadership training for Khmer. 
The John Maxwell model that will be presented is a business model that has done well in secular and non-secular organizations. We are a year behind the western world since it takes a year to translate the curriculum and the sessions by the international panel of speakers. This year Gary Haugen will actually be on site while the other speakers will be on the screen. 
 
First Global Leadership Meeting
Then in my second week, I was a sub for one of the Khmer teachers and taught 10 times and loved it! In my updates, I have spoken about my two Khmer sisters with whom I started a mentoring/discipling relationship, Srey Luch and Bopha. Both have finished their contract with New Life Church, and Srey Luch with her fiancĂ©, opened a ‘coffee cart’ business at her parents’ home so I went to visit, along with the head of the Information Desk, Chetra, and we were both able to pray and encourage her as we visited. I will continue to meet with her for as long as we can. 
 
Trey Luch At Coffee Cart With Chetra And Tuk Tuk Driver
Bopha and I will decide next week on the frequency of our meetings since she is at home looking after her son, but I was surprised to hear from another teacher that she was happy that Bopha’s English language skills had gotten stronger and Bopha said it was because of Bong Srey Vidya! (LOL! My talking had a good result!) 

The classes I taught were English grammar for beginners, and Newspaper class for mixed levels. In the Newspaper class I printed out 2 articles from CBC news, the first on Canadian air traffic controllers sending pizza over to their American counterparts, and the second was on Martin Luther King Jr.! It struck me as so weirdly wonderful to be talking about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. here in Cambodia! 
 
Newspaper Class
SO I have been busy, and I am also back on the rotation schedule for the Information Desk here at the church! I was surprised by the welcome I received by my Khmer community here as well.


Today I went in to give in my passport and papers to get my visa renewed for one year. When you first enter the country you get a visa for one month, then after that you have to apply for a visa permit to stay and do volunteer work here in Cambodia, my heart country.  I asked Pastor Samdy and his wife Navy to pray over the invitation letter by New Life Skills Centre as we were about to send in the letter for the extension of the visa.

Prayer Request: Please pray as they did, that the letter would fall into the right hands, and that there would be no problem with obtaining the extended visa.

Prayer Request: Please pray that many organizations and individuals would come and be part of the Global Leadership seminar; that we as a team would gel and be able to use our individual giftings to encourage and help each other; that we would in fact be a model of John Maxwell’s teachings based on the Bible.

The video clip attached was made by Teacher Pov. The background info is this. He had messaged me to ask if I knew anyone in Toronto who had an extra guitar. I never seriously considered asking anyone because I knew how expensive it would be to travel with a guitar, so honestly I put it out of my mind! But 4 days later, I went to my friend Mary’s house and as we were leaving she casually asked if I knew anyone who needed a guitar! I just looked at her and kind of groaned in my spirit because I am thinking oh no, now I have to take the guitar
Buying The Guitar

So I took the guitar home but I thought I would get my nephew Daniel to check it out to see if it was in good condition to bring it back here.Yup it wasNow I am in a quandary! I would have to get a hard case to put the guitar in, plus I knew I was taking back an extra suitcase already and that is expensive! This is where Prem, my bro, came in! He suggested I sell the guitar here and with the sale proceeds I could buy a guitar in Cambodia! Oh so simple! SO after getting Mary’s permission, that is what he did for me. The video clip is from Teacher Pov expressing his gratitude! I just smile at how God orchestrated this whole thing! 


Prayer Request: Pray for creativity and energy as I teach.

Prayer Request:  I am praying into finding another home. I feel God saying to be still and this was confirmed when one of the congregants at church spoke on that verse in the Bible! Pastor Jesse also spoke on the season of growth within, of mentoring and discipleship, and that resonated within my spirit as I know that is why I am here at this time!

I know it is minus 30C there in Toronto now with the wind chill, so I am NOT going to talk about how hot it is here! I pray for His warmth to flow over you! I was so blessed to be able to live stream couple of days for Solemn Assembly with you. I am praying as move ahead together in 2019! MY word from God is ‘expectancy”! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment