Wednesday 16 May 2018

#173 - Brother Peter Mearns

Vol.# 173

I just heard that my Brother Peter Mearns went suddenly to heaven to be with His Heavenly Father. I was surprised, and immediately without thinking, I called his cell phone thinking that I would get to speak to my sister Sue, his amazing wife, but what I got was his voice on the answering machine and I started to cry and then laugh as I remembered our times together. 

I have known Peter and Sue for over 5 years. Peter, who I refer to as my brother, and Sue, my sister in Christ, were part of my volunteer servers when we had the Christmas banquet. Peter would come in to also help in the set-up of the tables in the auditorium, always cheerful with a one-liner for me, always cracking me up with his sense of humour! 

When he first heard that I was going to Cambodia to teach English at the orphanage, he gave me a puzzled look and then said...
"But shouldn’t you know HOW to speak English before you teach it?" 
Then he looked at me to see my reaction and then started to laugh! 
Peter would pray with the men at RAC in the morning and he would sometimes tell me that they prayed for me that morning (that I would learn English fast so that I can teach it! LOL!). 

But seriously, Peter and Sue always made time for me when I returned to Toronto, having a summer BBQ or a dinner at their former home, inviting people who may not have a spouse or family, making sure we all felt included and at home in their home; listening and asking questions about my life here in Cambodia, praying for me daily. 

As tears pour down my face remembering their genuine care and love for me, I also remember how he was the one who got other men involved to help my parents move to Scarborough when they first came back here a couple of years ago. He brought his trailer and started to move the furniture on his own, not waiting for help and not wanting to take any financial reward for his hard work, not even to pay for the gasoline! However, he said pizza was a good payment, and I was glad that my Dad prayed a prayer of thanksgiving over him that day when Brother Peter helped us to move! 

When I returned last year, Peter and Sue had moved far away but still made the time to come and pick me up in Scarborough to take me out to dinner and just listened to what God was doing in and through me here in Cambodia. Then they gave me a card with Scripture and words of encouragement together with a financial gift saying very humbly that they wished they could do more! 

Bro. Peter, you are in heaven with your Heavenly Father. Your earthly presence would be missed but the fact that you knew where you were going to be when you died gives hope and peace that I will see you in heaven! I will miss your hugs, humor and your frank conversations! I think of Sue, your grown children and grandkids, Jeanette, your sister (I loved your relationship and the way you both loved to hang out together and tease each other), and I pray that as we all remember and grieve this loss on earth, we will also be happy through our tears that you are totally healed and at the feet of Your Saviour whom you loved and role modeled to many of us so well! You, my brother, are dancing literally with Jesus now! 


Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment