Tuesday 17 January 2017

#130 - Oma Speelman

Thank you all for praying about my meeting with Prison Fellowship on 17th. 

I sent a message to confirm my meeting and visit at the Correctional Centre 1 and Prison Location 2 (2 different places). However, when I spoke with Pisey, who is the Human Resources Coordinator, we got the approval to go, but the Prison officials said that Prison Fellowship had to pay for the officer who would go along with us. This had never happened before, so we postponed the meeting until they could talk and clarify that situation. However, as I spoke with Pisey, I said that God is in control and HE allows things to happen in His timing, and we had a blessed conversation on the phone! 
So I will keep you updated on this. 

One of the things all of us who are international workers face is that we miss celebrations of life, birthdays and marriages! 
And today I feel that keenly as I would miss being part of the celebration of life for Oma Speelman! 
Funny I called her Oma as well! 
I met Oma through her daughter Christine, and what I never got to personally thank her for was that she accepted this Trini woman totally, in her home! It was at a time when most people at church would be saying, "I do not understand what you are saying Vidya, could you speak slowly or get a translator (LOL)?"  
So when Christine first suggested that we go to her home, (and it was a home because of Oma, not a house) for dinner (my first asparagus dinner and the beginning of my love for asparagus!), I was a bit apprehensive at first but Oma was there, asking me questions, and treating me as one of her own, giving me my own tray with my cloth napkin. We sat in the living room, on the chairs or on the floor (informal and inviting) and I learnt of her love for reading, for mystery novels. She had a really good curry recipe which she gave to me, but what I really liked was the way she and Chris would talk about the goings on about the day and the process of Christine's floral decorations! 
When I heard of her going home to be with her Lord and Saviour, I got the image of the last time I saw her at the house before she moved into the other home, that image of her standing at the window waving goodbye to us as we drove off! 
Chris said she always did that, but in this picture I had in my mind, she was standing there waving goodbye but with a big smile because she was going into the arms of her Jesus. Bitter sweet
Thank you Oma for your acceptance of this 'stranger' into your home, and yes, now you are literally dancing with Jesus! 


Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia,

Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment