Friday 22 April 2022

#257 - Khmer New Year and Resurrection Day Celebrations!

 Vol.# 257

Blessed Belated Resurrection Day to all of you or as we say in the western world, Happy Easter

I love the way the Christian Khmer uses this term to celebrate the most important event for the believer in Jesus Christ! Here in Cambodia, Khmer New Year overlapped with Resurrection Day. For the past 2 years, due to the pandemic, the government had cancelled festivities and had a lockdown in effect where no one could leave the city to go to their hometowns/countryside for the week-long holiday, but this year all of the restrictions were lifted, so most people left the city to go there to celebrate with family and friends. Before the official date of the holiday, we at the church had our own celebrations with traditional games and dance! I thought it was significant that my church here took the unusual step of celebrating the Khmer New Year in a big way right outside the church so that the sellers and customers in the adjoining mall could see and even be participants! It is customary for the pagodas to be the central place of celebrations for the Khmer New Year. Many would flood the Buddhist temples and their courtyards to pay respect to the priests there, and to enjoy the vibrant celebrations and local food. Those who are skeptical of Christianity, with the idea that becoming a Christian means losing their culture and traditions, were pleasantly surprised to see us wearing the traditional clothing, and playing the games along with Khmer New Year decorations at the church. 








During the Passion Week, I was at home and was able to spend time with Him, and on Resurrection Sunday morning at church, God allowed me to ponder through these questions: 

1) What have I crucified in my life for You My Lord

2) In what ways or areas do I show that You, Jesus, are resurrected in my life

3) In what ways am I helping to ‘roll away the stone’ for others

These questions have allowed me to focus more fully on Him and have centred me more on being intentional for His glory.


Praise: Oun Pisey, is the Youth Leader for the Next Generation. She is the only Christian in her family. Her mom got very sick, and was brought into the city and taken to the hospital. Her joints were so swollen and painful that she could not walk. We were able to access a clinic here where the disabled themselves build wheel chairs specially for the user! Oun Pisey’s mom did not want to be measured for the wheelchair, and was feeling very depressed. However, after I connected with the clinic and the head of our 5P group at the church, we were able to get her a wheel chair! She thought that it would be too expensive and that is why she had refused to even entertain the notion of getting a wheelchair! This is what your sacrificial donation to my support has resulted in, not only a wheelchair, but also Pisey’s mom has said for the first time, thank you to your Jesus for thisThank you to the church for this precious gift! I SAY thank you to all of you once more for your support of me here in my heart country!




Prayer Request: Please pray for healing of her mom’s legs and the continued opening of her heart to Jesus. Please pray for the rest of the family to come to know Our Saviour!

 
Praise: I was finally able to celebrate with Oun Lin and her fiancé PaNHa who became engaged while I was in Canada. Oun Lin and I worked on editing of the info booklet for the church last year and her fiancé is Oun Pisey’s right hand in leading the Next Generation. I was able to talk and be the ‘Bong Srey’ in listening to their hearts for Him and for the future!


 
Prayer Request: On April 27th to 30th, there is taping of the new worship songs. Please pray for good health for the singers, for their voices; that their families will be also remain healthy. We have seen in the past when we have produced new worship songs that those involved usually feel a significant backlash, so I am praying for His wall of protection to be around themPray for the leader Oun Roma who is producing and leading the group on her own for the first time!

 
Prayer Request: Please pray that I would know how to be their support. I have blocked off those days to be at the church to pray and to be of assistance. The taping of the songs is between 10-12 am.

 
Prayer Request: On May 3rd to May 7th, I will be travelling to Siem Reap with representatives from Global Leadership Summit Asia. It is a 6-hour car journey. Pray for safety on the road, and no car sickness for me! Please pray as we meet with leaders from Singapore and Malaysia as well as local leaders, that there will be a spirit of unity and joy! 

Prayer Request: Please pray for my mom and dad for their physical health. Pray for wise counsel from doctors as they go to different appointments.

Thank you for joining in with me. For the past 3 days I have been on the rooftop literally dancing and praising Him for all that He is doing. Please continue to send in your requests and life stories! 


Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 

Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 

Your sister, Vedya 

No comments:

Post a Comment