Friday 26 March 2021

#238 - Melodia

Vol.# 238

I had exactly 5 minutes to get ready to go for an appointment. I just received the call to go in, so I had called my usual tuk tuk driver who was free, and I ran downstairs making sure I had all the appropriate documents needed for the appointment! Three minutes into the ride, I felt something was ‘off’, and then realized I had put on my dress back to front! I started to laugh, thinking of what my Mom might say quoting Trini slang, ‘every fault is a fashion’. As I looked at the dress that I was wearing, I realized it was my one of my favourites sewn by my dear friend and sister, Melodia, who right now is with The Best Designer and Sewer of All Creation, Jesus the Christ! 

(Photo credit: Saved from Melodia's FB Profile)
 

I have been blessed to have run the gamut of layers of friendship with Mel, from acquaintances when we first met in the kitchen serving under Mrs. Norah B for Women’s Bible studies. Yet when we talked 2 weeks ago while I was in quarantine, we could not remember how we went from there to becoming friends and confidantes! I am smiling now because Melodia would be just shaking her head and laughing with me as I strove confidently into my meeting wearing the dress she sewed, but not the way it was meant to be worn!

 
But that was the beauty of our friendship. We are two different personalities, yet God brought us together, and I got to be part of her family, welcomed by Tony her husband, who graciously brought the rocking chair that Melodia had used to ‘rock her own babies’, to now become my Mom’s prayer rocking chair! I am indebted to you, Tony, for always welcoming me into your home and allowing me to sit at your table with your family over the years! Melodia was gifted by God to create and designed amazing clothes and décor. She also opened my mind into the Arts and Music, inviting me to Hannah’s dance recitals at her school, allowing me to share in Sarah’s and Isabella’s (Bella) individual sport activities. Most of all, I loved sitting in both the old and new kitchens sipping espresso coffee (I always added sugar to my own) talking about God, life, and laughing with each other! I know her three daughters, whom she always made sure called me “Miss Vidya”, were her heart and soul besides the Lord Jesus the Christ. So 2 weeks ago, when she asked for prayer for them, I wrote this and I was able to share this with her and now I share with you. 

Mel, my sweet sister, as I was praying over you and dancing with Jesus to Cece Winans’ Believe For It on my little balcony in my quarantine room, I was remembering your prayers for your precious daughters. God showed me this, Mel. First, Luke 1:30... ‘Do not be afraid, Mary (Melodia), for you have found favor with God...’ You may be thinking, how can this be in my current situation? Your favor is found in your precious daughters, Mel, they each have a bit of you.

 

Hannah, as an advocate, strong in voice and will always ask the questions just like you Mel! As you have advocated for others, but especially for Sarah, seeking the best for each one of your daughters, never taking the easy route or answers, but advocating for each of them. Hannah is who loves to dance and with whom I, one day, would love to free style dance to the above song!

 

Sarah: definer/clarifier: With Sarah’s unique language and understanding, you have had to look for ways to communicate and to teach her her worth and value. Sarah forces us to look at our emotions and words and to simplify and make clearer. She gives hugs and is uninhibited in her affection for those close to her. Mel, that is you. You have showed me in no nonsense language to be forthright and to look at my own words before I speak out. You give such big strong hugs, and with your eye for detail, you are able to look at the true source of emotions.

 

Isabella- Bella: companion: She has been with you to Mexico but has been with you to the doctors. Her presence and understanding is so much like our Lord. She is the youngest but she knows the importance of being there! 

 

Mel, you have been there for me so many times. When I had no confidence in what to wear, you made me feel as your ‘muse’ as you designed my outfits to wear here, not realizing you were giving me confidence needed as a woman. You understand that yes, it is good to have all the godly woman attributes in our inner being, but also we need some bling bing! SO, woman of God, no fears, your legacy is already instilled in your three daughters. You are loved. Thank you for thinking of my parents by sending them flowers because you know they might be missing me. The flowers came at the right time! 

My Mum got a chance to call you after receiving the flowers and prayed with you over the phone. I am glad you created that opportunity for her and my Dad to pray with and over you! So now you are in heaven before Your Saviour. Thank you for enriching my life my sister! 

Praise

I had asked for prayer for the co-hosting of a seminar with topics that included what it is to be a Christian and yet partake in Khmer cultural activities. As I was praying over this, I watched Session 3 of the conversation between Pastor Vijay and Pastor Sunder from this month’s series from The Well (the church which Pastor Vijay is pastoring). When Pastor Sunder was asked about things he had learned over the years, he said that he had learnt how to ask questions rather than to be ready with answers, to ask questions like Jesus did to get to the heart of the matter! So I asked the person who had invited me to cohost this seminar for expats, why was I asked? The material is really from a Khmer’s perspective with the cultural understanding of the struggles the Khmer may experience in drawing boundaries between living out Christ’s values and the Khmer cultural traditions. I sensed that the host was not confident in his ability to teach because it was to the expats, to educate us about our Khmer family so that we can better communicate about Christ. I was right to ask him that question. I am there to learn, but also to encourage and help! I would not be sensitive or true to God if I led this seminar! So we talked and prayed. I will help to co-lead in the sense of praying for all at the beginning, and discussing certain phrases and terms which may be difficult to translate, but my Khmer brother will be the lead teacher and I will help him in the preparations during the week. We will begin this Sunday so…


Prayer Request

Please pray that at 8:30 on Sunday morning, all participants including myself will come with a hunger to learn and to be taught by the Holy Spirit through my Khmer brother!

 
Prayer Request

The community transmission COVID-19 rate has been increasing. Pray that this fear is turned into faith, and that now since we are online, that more will be tuning in to learn more about this Jesus who is Our Rock and Our Hope in the midst of this pandemic. The loss of jobs and wages mean that the church has to be the ones to be the blessing to many, so I ask for wisdom and creativity on how to do this with His resources! 

Thank you all for continuing to sacrificially give of your own resources to help me here as well as your precious gift of time as you intercede on my behalf! Please continue to share your requests and stories as we ‘dance together! I am on my rooftop now, about to leave, as it is too hot here at 7:30 in the morning! 


Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 

Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 

Your sister, Vidya 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment