Wednesday 22 June 2016

#111 - Test results and travelling mercies!

 Vol.# 111

My arms are wide open and … no, it is not to hug someone nor am I lifting up my arms in worship! It is me stretching after a much needed nap after my exam this morning! I had perhaps 4 hours of sleep each night for the past week! 


Thank you for your faithful prayers!

For those who eagerly await my breakdown of how I did, read on! Others can skip to the end! 

Word recognition: 100 percent, however, with 6 errors in pronunciation! 

Answer questions/ conversations: We had 10 questions to prepare short answers: 85 percent. 

Read Khmer: 7/10. 

Short 3 mins. talk on 3 specific topics: (For those of you who know me, this was EXCRUCIATING to speak for only 3 mins. each in Khmer! Just kidding folks
I went blank when I had to brain storm but thankfully I remembered what I had rehearsed! 8/10. 

Listening text and then answered questions: I got 4/5 questions! The first question asked about geographical locations and used numbers, so as I was trying to figure out if they said 450 or 350, they had moved on to talk about something else! So this part was not my best! This was the one that I thought would be the hardest and I was correct! 


Overall I have improved but I still need to have the ear so that I can hear and understand what is being said! 

OH, I PASSED!


More importantly than the academic part of language school are the relationships which God made possible! 

After the exam I sat down with the coffee sellers who set up their little coffee shop cart in front of the school! The owners go to New Life church and I have gotten to know the four sellers who are there as I buy my coffee/coconut shake from them each morning! I get to hear their life stories as we talk in Khmer and English! They said that little did they know they were going to become teachers, because all of us students are always asking for their help with pronunciation


Relationships with the teachers at the school: I get to ‘jam’ with Teacher Ming at lunchtime when I am waiting for my extra hour in tutoring once a week. He sings in Khmer and I try to listen and sing along … in English! Yay! I am not that good yet! But just hanging out with the one or two teachers who are there is fun! 


My Classmates


Classmates: Right after my exam today, Ryan and his wife (whom I met in Level three, with Ryan continuing on full time with us while his wife switched to part time to be with the kids) invited me out to lunch! Ryan and another classmate who joined us for the first time for Level 4, Charles, are just like my brothers; they were the ones who invented ‘the Vidya'! I met Charles’ friends today while at school and they said, "Oh, so you are Vidya"!

Charles always has a 'Vidya' story! The one that they especially liked was when Ryan and Charles were in giggles escalating to outright laughter over something I said (!), and I got up and proceeded to hit them over the head with my scarf! 
The friend said, "Good for Vidya, whomever she is"! 
So we exchanged phone numbers so we could hang out sometime! 


My Classmates being silly!
Tonight I will be going out with the other couple in class! They are the brilliant couple whom I have talked about before. I got to know them a bit better and realized they are both introverts, so having me in the class was a change for them! They ended up helping me by giving me organizational sheets with new words so I could practice and write them down on the sheets! 
They have been both very gracious and I just happened to say casually last week that we should get together and they said, "Let us take you out for dinner to our special Italian place", so tonight we are going! 
I will try and be on my best behavior! LOL! 


Praise: Thank you! I realize it has been a long road since my unexpected hospital stay. I look back and all I can say is Praise Him for how He has rescued and kept me. 
This was ‘our’ time, my Jesus and myself, as He worked out my faith and built me up even when my physical strength was weak! 


Prayer Request: For His travelling grace. 
I do not like travelling or being on the plane for long hours since I am a bit claustrophobic! Please pray that I sleep and my travelling companions will be gracious! OR, better yet, that I would have the whole row to myself! Pray as I go through customs in Seoul, and then for God-appointed meetings as I wait for next plane on my last leg home! 


I have to get things in order here with landlord before I leave! So please pray as I get things done! 


Thank you to my Khmer community here: Dong, who through this model was my WhatsApp teacher; and Johnny for his prayers for me; and yes, Channak, for taking the time to help me with prep for my presentation!; Krong and Liep, the Khmer couple from church who prayed for me as well! 

Dancing with Him Khmer style!


Love, His Warrior and Disciple, submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia,
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment