Wednesday 4 March 2020

#209 - Valentines Day and the Global Leadership Summit

Vol. #209

So there I was in the tuk tuk wishing I had eaten something with a peppermint taste rather than drinking coffee, because the mask I was wearing was not filtering the external smells on the road. So I was trying to exhale rather than inhale the rather pungent air, and all I could smell was coffee mixed with the awful smells! My driver had decided to take me to work ‘the short way’ amidst the garbage and stinky smells! However, as I looked out, I saw people sitting and talking, even eating, and I realized that they lived in this area and probably could no longer ‘smell’ the stink that I smelled. 
Yup, God brought to mind that when we lose touch with Him, we lose sensitivity to His Holiness, and yes, we may even enjoy wallowing in things that are not of Him! This was a reminder to me to make sure that my ‘date’ time with Him was a habit, a discipline that I could not afford to give up or miss, that my ‘accountability’ with my spiritual mentors had to be transparent, and also that I needed to be always on guard to protect the gift of His unconditional love and grace for me, so undeserving, yet chosen by Him to be part of His plan here!

February 14th: Valentine’s Day is a BIG day here. There is societal pressure to have a boyfriend/girlfriend especially for that day, to receive stuffed toys and chocolates and flowers that would then be posted on Facebook/Instagram. This date has caused so many problems that at my church they took a proactive stance, and on the Khmer Radio, the head of my school, Lokru Pov, went on air to advertise that the church would be hosting a talk about LOVE and there would be games and a fun time! As a result, 400 youth came out, students from our school and satellite sites, plus their friends and youth from the surrounding area, to hear Pastor Pisit answer their questions on love.
Poster Advertising Valentines Day Radio Show

Movie Night at Church with Students
 In no uncertain terms, he laid out the boundaries for relationships and talked about ‘love languages’ focusing on the most powerful love giver, Jesus the Christ! Amazingly, the kids were very quiet. Usually they would be on their phones or talking, but they listened to him as he was frank and answered questions. Afterwards in ensuing conversations, many said that they always thought that Valentine’s Day was only for ‘romantic’ kind of love, but now they realized that it could be family love, friendship love, respect love for teachers etc. It made them feel ‘freer’ to not be expected to give anything to anyone if they were not able to! 

With that in mind, I was ‘channeling ‘ Chris K's and Karen’s spirit of surprise giving by doing my Valentine’s Day of surprise gifts. My first stop was at the Bread Shop near work where I dropped off some chocolates to the three youth who work there and they were so surprised and happy! Next stop was at the office. Valentine’s Day was on a Friday, a day I do not work there, but I picked up cookies and went to give one to each person with ‘this is your hug and kiss from Jesus’! Apparently they remembered the ‘cupcakes’ I did last year, and they were sad because they knew I would not be at the office that day, so it was very cool to deliver the cookies! 
Valentines Day At Salon

The next stop was of course ‘my girls’ at the salon! I had pre-ordered the cake for them, so all I had to do was pick it up, and as soon as they saw me with the box, they were yelling, “Bong (older sister) Srey, we knew you would come! Thank you!” I prayed before dropping off each gift. I wanted them to experience this act of love from an older sister, a teacher and a sister in Christ! 

At Wedding of Former Rescue Student
Praise:
Thank you for your prayers for the Global Leadership Cambodian summit. With a smaller team and numbers down due to the virus and our late marketing strategies, those that came were blessed and challenged to go to the next level in leadership. I myself was challenged to become a better influencer in my circle. I ordered the flash drive with the different speakers so that I can share it with the leaders at my church and with other friends here in Phnom Penh. We are still doing a ‘wrap up’ of the events and already planning for mini-Global leadership meetings in the coming months.
Volunteer Staff for GLS - Cambodia


Participants and Volunteers at GLS - Cambodia
Prayer Requests: 
- Please pray for creativity on how to market the summit for those in government and CEOs of businesses as well.

- I am meeting with a prospective cleaner this week, praying that she will be the right fit since it is really so difficult to keep the outside clean. It can be wearying on me.

Praise
- I am not sure why but in the past 3 weeks people have been approaching me in the office and also outside asking to ‘talk’, so I listen (yup, for you out there, I really listen and not talk!), and then I pray!

- I am thankful to both Pastor Wayne and Betty and to Pastor Sunder and Sham for FT with me in the midst of their busy schedules, for their spiritual advice and continued ‘pastoring’ over me.

- AND I am thankful to my dad who turned 93 this year! So grateful for the internet so that I can see my parents and talk to them!
 
Please continue to send your stories and pictures as we do life together and His mission together! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment