Monday 9 September 2019

#199 - Celebrating a legacy of faith with family and friends

Vol.# 199

Thank you for your prayers! 

I came through Seoul, and I arrived safely with my luggage after 21 hours of travelling! That includes delays in Toronto as well as Seoul, but I am thankful to you for praying and sending me off so well, and also to my housemate for coming to pick me up at one in the morning! I already had my one-year visa, so as soon as I got to Phnom Penh, I went straight up to Customs and in 2 minutes I went through the formality of getting my passport stamped, and lo and behold, my suitcases were in the first round of suitcases on the carousel!

On Thursday when I arrived, I knew that I was going to a football game that I usually go to with my ‘guys’ whom you saw from the picture from Rescue (2011), as Cambodia was playing in round 1 against Hong Kong for World Cup 2020. I was amongst the mob but this time I found myself sitting with strangers as the stadium was so crowded and the seats are the concrete bleachers! Tickets usually are between $2.50 to $3.00US to encourage all to go and attend the game. Yet as we did the ‘wave’ together, I was struck anew by the vast numbers attending, 90 percent under the age of 25, and I thought, wouldn’t it be wonderful for all of us to be doing the ‘wave’ for Jesus the Christ! 

They come prepared for the game with the streamers, raincoats, cameras and snacks. PLUS they are on time or are there before to make sure they get their seats! Again I thought, how prepared am I when I go to church, do I make sure I get enough sleep so that I would be awake to participate fully in the sermon? Am I bringing my mind and thoughts to learn expectantly what God wants to teach me during the rhythmic and spoken part of the church service?
I noticed with amusement that we all groaned together when a Cambodian football player missed a chance to score a goal, or clapped when the opposition team missed a chance to score on our goal. We were in this together, Khmer and non-national alike. Then I prayed for unity amongst us all as we teach and learn together about the love and grace of Jesus the Christ.

Thank you all for coming to the Meet and Greet, for your words of encouragement after my speaking twice on the 18th and on the 11th at the Chinese Alliance service. Thank you for wanting to join me in prayer and financial support as we partner together in His work here!

Below are pics from the other important event that occurred other than the wedding of my nephew, Nathan and nephew-lette, Sarah! Yes, I made up that word ‘cause Sarah is not my niece but the wife of my nephew, but oh, what a wonderful addition to our family! I got to meet the other nephew-lette,Victoria, who got married 2 years ago to Paul. They came in from England for the wedding, and Victoria got to meet us ‘en masse’ and I am sure she has not recovered yet from that experience, but again what a God-chosen wife for my nephew Paul! 
Mom and Dad with some of their grandkids and spouses

It was a totally unexpected reunion when my Dad wanted to honor my Mom for being the seed that produced the fruit of believers, and thus the legacy of Christianity in our family and amongst our friends from our hometown of Arima, Trinidad and Tobago! It was my Mom who chose to be a Christian and converted from Hinduism. 
The Ramcharan family with the Arima contingent

My time was short but it was wonderful for all of my siblings with some of their families to be in the same place after more than 8 years! I know I had to turn down some invitations from you my loyal supporters, but I am grateful that you understood my time limitations as well! I left on the 3rd, the English contingent left on the 4th, and my big bro from Florida on the 5th.
The Ramcharan family together again after 8 years

So I am hitting the ground running with church on Sunday, getting my curriculum to study for classes on Monday and meetings all week after classes.


Praise: for many of you who wanted to get my prayer updates; for you who are sacrificing financially to partner with me. Thank you.

Praise: for my parents and my siblings for their blessings for me to be here in Cambodia.

Prayer: that I would be able to study and absorb the new curriculum in a timely manner, for creativity in the implementation of said lessons, and discernment as I build bridges with my students!

Prayer: for a new ‘home’ not only for me here but also for my parents back in Toronto!

Praise: I never expected to be commissioned by one of the lead pastors and member of the Apostolic team at New Life church here in Phnom Penh, but how counter cultural that was, to be commissioned by him to go to Toronto to talk about the church in Phnom Penh! I love that! It just set the mood for this new season! 

So I ‘dance’ into this new season with an expectant heart! I will not lead in this dance with Jesus but will be led by Him! 
Please continue to send me your prayer requests! 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 

No comments:

Post a Comment