Thursday 8 February 2018

#166 - The Presentation: the snags and praises!

Vol. #166

So there I was rushing off for the big project. 
I had been up since 5am to practise my presentation. For the past 2 weeks I had been in presentation mode, my housemate had been up with me for the previous couple of nights to do the Power Point presentation, and right up to the time I was hustling off in the tuk to tuk to class yesterday, we had been on the phone making corrections to the Power Point slides! 

As I got to the school and met with the teacher, who had not yet downloaded my presentation or the accompanying homework assignments and work list I had created, I realized that I had forgotten the cue cards I had made for the presentation! 
I thought I had them with me, so I made a call to tuk tuk driver who said yes, that he would come in 10 minutes! I was so happy because I had written down my transitional sentences for each of the Power Point slides, and had written down the correct way to pronounce some of the Khmer words. 
Alas, when he came he said that he did not have them! 
By this time my teacher is trying to download the Power Point and print my list of words and we hit a snag. So my classmate who was supposed to go after me did her presentation first and then I just breathed and went up and did it! 

Role Playing Comfort (And no, I did not make her cry, not that I know of!)


Praise:  
Answer to prayer re: Power Point. My housemate Channak graciously stayed up until 1 for about 3 nights to help me, and really, to do the entire Power Point on his computer! Thanks C


Praise: 
You prayed that I would have clarity and there were 3 times when I suddenly thought, ‘this does not flow’, or 'this is information that should not be in the presentation because it did not directly relate to the topic'. And you were correct! One of the supervising teachers came up to me after and said, "Bong Srey (older sister in Khmer), you gave good information on the topic and you answered the question I asked you what phrase should someone use if giving ‘comfort’ or ‘sympathy’ to someone who has died (my topic for presentation) on Face Book (since most Khmer use this medium as main form of communication).


Praise
I had forgotten something important which God reminded me of when I was getting stressed: the process and preparation ‘is an act of worship to me Vidya!’ So I had to stop and just worship Him and with a new perspective, His perspective, I finished my preparation! Yesterday my classmate, who had also presented, told me that she remembered that statement when we were in discussion a couple of days ago, and it helped her as well as she prepared and did her presentation. 


Praise
Many of you who wrote/called did so right at crucial times when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, so I thank you for following the leading of the Holy Spirit! 

Prayer Requests

The presentation was a big part of the final exam, but I do have the written part (one and a half hours), and a listening and speaking part with two teachers (one hour) on the 13th. Can I again ask for your prayers as I prepare and focus in the next few days on those areas in my Khmer studies? I want to finish ‘well’; my ‘well’ is to the best of my ability here. I realized that most of my classmates are able to speak Khmer much more fluently, and my level of understanding is not at their level, but God says to give our best, our ‘5 loaves and 2 fishes’, and He will multiply it. 
I pray that I finish ‘well’ with the teachers and staff there, and even though I will be still doing Christian Studies one evening a week there, that the day staff and I would have friendships which have been forged by His Holy Spirit.

The day teachers are already asking, "Bong, are we going to have a party to celebrate at your place?"

My response: "I think we should see how I do in the listening, written and oral part of the exam, don’t you think?" 


With a grateful heart to you all, especially my family who have been praying over me (special shout out to my Dad and Mom!). 

Love, His Warrior and Disciple, 
Submitting to be His Dance partner here in Cambodia, 
Your sister, Vidya 


No comments:

Post a Comment